Sunday 22 December 2019

No Internet? Still you can navigate with this app


Amidst the turmoil going on in our country, we are facing problem in some places where internet connectivity has been shutdown. What we can predict in future is our golden era of free access to information through search engine will soon be history. As per the optimistic point of view there will be something alternative to Internet for communication around the world & outside in future.

Without going further into space & future, let's go to Triund in Himachal Pradesh. I went for a quick visit from Delhi during the first week of December 2019. I didn't have any fix plan to go there but luckily I started my trekking with Triund. It was an experience that I enjoyed throughout that can be expressed through the following pics that I clicked while doing 10 km trek.


Halfway View


I started walking early in the morning at around 9 a.m. from Macleodgunj where my net connection helped me to locate the way using GPS till Gallu Devi temple. After reaching the temple (starting point) there's a straight trek of 6 kms where there's no connectivity of mobile tower. After showing my Government id I started going up towards the peak following other travelers on the way. I came across travelers mostly from Europe & Israel. Some travelers are exploring places for more than 8-9 months or even a year.

While trekking anywhere, a continuous conversation with someone (friend, stranger, traveler) can help anyone keep going without getting exhausted. If you are traveling solo or with friends it can distract the mind from getting tired and will help to complete the path easily. Triund trek can be done in one day if one starts early in the morning. I completed it in one day as I had to return to Delhi. Those who wants to see the sunrise from the top, they have to book the tent online in advance to stay at night. You can book here : https://www.booking.com/hotel/in/mcleodganj-camping-resort.en-gb.html

Trekking route






Top view of Triund


Fortunately I came across some travelers on the way who had the same plan to complete on the same day. When I was almost 1 km below the final destination, the view was getting better with frozen ice on the path & the hour long conversation in Portuguese language with an European traveler made the journey more interesting. I noticed that she was constantly looking at her mobile phone to track the location. I asked her " Você tem cobertura ou internet?" She replied "Não" My response was "What's the point of looking at the GPS if you don't have internet connection!" & then I was introduced to this app called "Maps.me" where internet is not required after installation and you can navigate & see the location.


Download this app on Google Play or Apple Store




It's not a very new app. You can download by clicking here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapswithme.maps.pro&referrer=mt_click_id%3Dmt-xuhg85-1577005389-679605027

Those who don't know they can find it very useful especially during traveling & network connectivity problem.


Finally we could enjoy at the top & finished the trek before sunset. There's a sunset cafe where you can enjoy this colorful skyline after Triund trek.

It's near the starting point of trek roughly 15-20 mins by walk through forest.






Sunset cafe - Chillax zone

After sunset if your mobile ph is out of battery then returning from this place can be difficult or adventurous. Make sure you have power bank or follow other travelers because it's completely dark out there in the forest apart from sound of animals & ... 


          

4 comments:

  1. It was a pleasure to do the trekking with you!! ☺️ And don't forget to practice Portuguese language 😄

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muito obrigado Carolina. Espero que estemos em contacto e falamos em Português e Portuñol ;) Até logo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muy útil la información!! Increíble lugar!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deberás venir a India algun día. Pura vida

      Delete